Sunday, October 25, 2009

Reason to Blog

I first started blogging some years ago but after a short time I found there was not much I could contribute. At least that was how I felt about it. Recently after retiring, I made the decision to take a trip to the land of my birth for the first time since arriving down under some fifty-one years ago. I came online looking for information about the area I had lived in England. I came across a blog from a woman that lived in my old part of London. She calls herself Raggy Dee Ann. She went out of her way to help me and even took photos of the place I lived and other haunts of mine. If you are interested in seeing these, go here.

Raggy blogs on things that mean something to her. She writes about the area where she was born and champions the cause of non-whites in the area. Although I think I may be doing her a dis-service when I say that. From what I have read on her blog, Raggy seems to speak out for anyone that she feels is getting a bad deal.

What I am leading to here is, it was reading Raggy's blog that made me decide to blog again. Maybe I cannot change the world, I don't really want to do that. Maybe I cannot change the way people think, although there are some I would like to effect. Maybe I cannot change the way people react to each other and there are some behaviours I would like to change. That really isn't the point of a blog is it? It is the modern day version of the old soapbox. You can state you point of view and allow others to agree with you, disagree with you or ignore you.

It is nice when people agree with you but it sure would be a boring bloody world if everybody did wouldn't it?

1 comment:

  1. Hi

    Good too see you blogging. It's always nice to hear about people in far away places. I'm sure you have a lot to contribute. Although I wasn't born in Hackney, (was born in Highgate) but moved to hackney in '77, I've decided to go to university in February at my ripe old age :) and I've started getting involved with working with teenagers....I've spoken to the guy I wrote about Ken and hope I can work with and learn from him.

    I was really affected by the Jahmal Mason Blair killing and can no longer sit back.....

    Will blog about that in the next day or so.

    Have a nice Sunday.

    ReplyDelete